Saturday, April 2, 2011

Restyled Lampshade

Mostly because it’s a Saturday and I have nothing else to do, and partly because I am slightly hungover from the “90th Street Olympics”, I decided to make a new lampshade. I saw a tutorial online and thought to myself, “that’s way too complicated, I’m sure that I can make it easier.” Nope. I definitely made it more complicated, but it turned out great, and now that I can reflect on the process, I am going to leave out the weirdo extra unnecessary steps that I added. BUT here is the gross stained lampshade that I started with:

Disgusting. I can’t even begin to explain how I let it sit on my side table looking like that. I am embarrassed and ashamed. Not really. Anyway let’s get too it.
First, create a template. I didn’t have any butcher paper so I used a newspaper add. Take a sharpie and trace around the lampshade as you roll it on the paper. This would probably be much easier with an assistant, but I was still wearing pajamas and hadn’t showered so that wasn’t an option for me.

Now, make sure that the template fits! This is crucial. Especially when using fabric that is $9.99 a yard. You will be mad!

Taa daa! It fits. Next I used my trusty disappearing fabric pen and left ¼ inch seam allowance around the template.

After cutting, iron it. I always think that it’s not necessary, but do you really want your lampshade to look all crumpled up? No, you don’t. Iron it.
The next few steps don’t have pictures, so just visualize this:
1st sew the edges of the fabric. Make sure to pin and take your time or else your fabric is going to look funky.
2nd use spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the lampshade. It was easiest (after a few trials) to start at the top edge and then smooth all the wrinkles from there. Once the fabric is in the correct place, use fabric glue to seal the seam and the rim of the lampshade.
Waa laa! Beautiful lampshade!

3 comments:

  1. It looks great, Erin! You should probably start a factory and sell lampshades outside Anthropologie for $45.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Your "voice" is so entertaining. And the shade looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may need to borrow your iron, because i've have some fabric laying around for this exact purpose, but i don't have an iron!

    ReplyDelete