Monday, July 30, 2012

DIY Monday: Tunic dress

Did you think I forgot that I was going to do a regular "feature"?  Well, guess what....I didn't.  I just spent 3 hours doing this DIY Tunic tutorial then editing the instructions so that you don't look like a beached whale when wearing it!  Again, you're welcome.
So, this dress is pretty cute right?  I thought so.  I was inspired by a color block dress that I spotted at Buffalo Exchange today, but didn't want to pay $30 for it.  I took the $12.95 that I made from selling them clothes that I had previously bought there (zinger!), and walked over to Joann's.   I was looking for magenta and orange fabric to recreate the other dress, when I saw something odd:  A yellow bolt was draped over something...what could it be?

 Just some orange and magenta ikat. No big deal. 

I snatched it up and walked up to the cutting counter.
To make this dress, follow the woman's instructions on the blog. With some modifications, you can get the weird thing I made. If you want a longer dress, which I did, choose 54" fabric, if you want a short look go with 45".
The things that I changed:
This sort of dress just doesn't look good if you have big boobs.  And I do.  Huge actually.  I'm not sure where they came from, no one else in my family has a gigantic rack...but whatever.  So I put some elastic in the shoulders to make it not look soo....African princess, and make me not look so top heavy.
To put elastic in the sleeve and gather it, you have to pull the elastic tight and then zig zag stitch it along the already existing seam in the sleeve.

Fashion a belt out of left over fabric.
So now what you have is this:
What I would do differently, or what I am still going to work on:
It's too long.  I think I was imagining a maxi dress in my head and I ended up with some sort of traditional African tribal ceremonial attire.
It looks comfortable, but it's also see through, so I would use lining.
I would also use a jersey knit, not polyester.
Yep.  That's about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment