Saturday, July 21, 2012

A fanny pack? Yep.

The fanny pack.  Oh man. I always hated them growing up.  My mom wore one.  It was magenta, and held way to much stuff.  Her hair was permed and I was 7.  Generally, I was thinking, "Mom, do you want me to die alone with no friends?" Ugh.  Now, as an adult with lots of crap to carry around, sometimes a fanny pack is necessary.
I was asked by an ex-coworker (we actually never worked together, I replaced her at the Cafe, then when I left, she replaced me) to make a fanny pack so she could store all of her things in it when she was walking her dog.
Sure, I thought.  I can totally do that.  So, I started thinking about what it should look like..and got a little stressed out. I hate using patterns, they are always WRONG.  But, this was out of my realm.  I can sew the shit out of a dress, make a skirt in 20 minutes, sew garters and bow ties all day long, but a fanny pack was going to be my downfall? A fanny pack was going to be the thing that made me say "sorry, I don't know how to do that"? NO.  Fanny pack, you will not break me, you will not win.  So, I went to my favorite jerk women at Pacific Fabrics and bought a pattern.
I was shocked at the lack of fanny pack patterns, I thought for sure that there would be millions, considering the fashion sense of most sewing enthusiasts.  But, there were only two.  I chose the Burda Style 7339.  I love Burda, I've been a member of their online community for almost 5 years now, and trust their stuff.
But this pattern was whack.  I definitely spent the better part of 30 minutes trying to figure out what the hell they were talking about to attach the zipper.  I followed their instructions, and ended up seam ripping it and just doing it on my own.  Also, their measurements are converted from centimeters and don't match any of the notions that we have available in the U.S. How dare the rest of the world not adapt to our measurement system? How are we supposed to make fanny packs?!  Anyway, here are the results.  If you feel like you need one, let me know....it's summer, I ain't got no job, and I ain't got shit to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment