Friday, April 1, 2011

Mini Apple Pies

Being the crazy person that I am, I decided that the perfect appetizer to bring to a party would be mini apple pies. I’m sure I saw some at one time or another and thought “how cute, they are so tiny!” This was obviously an incomplete thought process because making tiny little lattice tops for apple pies is super annoying and time consuming. But, they are darn cute. So here is what I did:
First I made my apple pie filling. This was very easy. Take some apples, chop them up into little chunks, toss in some butter, sugar, and a little bit of cinnamon. Put them on medium heat on the stove and go do something else. Come back and stir every so often (about 5-7 minutes) and after about 15, presto! Delicious apple pie filling!

Next, I cheated. I used store bought pre-made pie crusts. You can buy them in the pre-made cookie dough section (the horror!) I used a little tiny cup to make circles and filled my mini muffin pan. A box usually has two crusts, one crust makes just enough for 12 mini pies with lattice if you are very talented like myself.

Then, I added my pie filling. I took the remaining pie crust and smashed it into a ball. I re-rolled it and used a pizza slicer to make thin strips that make the lattice. To make things easier on myself, I made the little lattice on the counter and then placed it onto the top of the mini pie and pushed the edges down.

After way too long, I had completed my 24 mini pies. Bake them at about 350-375. Check on them frequently, you don’t want them to burn! My first batch took 15 minutes and the second took almost 20, so who knows how long yours could take.
They come out of the oven looking delicious:

And, they are SO tiny and adorable!

I did the math, and I figure that each one is about 100 calories, but really? Who cares? They’re to cute not to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment