Sunday, January 1, 2012

Weddings and Bacon: The perfect pair!

It is January 1 already! I can’t believe it. I did not get in half as much crafting as I would have liked to over this holiday break, but I did score big today at Goodwill. I got an awesome 100% blue silk dress. It even has shoulder pads! Bonus!
It will go great with the peep toe pumps that I also bought.
Apparently this is the time of year that people get engaged. What this means for you: Lots of wedding themed crafts and food! What this means for me: not eating and working out like crazy person, while trying not to cut my finger off crafting. Tomorrow I am hosting a small brunch before some ladies go out dress shopping for Kath. Very exciting. I decided to make muffins, a fresh fruit plate, coffee, belinis and Bacon, Egg, and Toast cups. They are pretty simple, and delicious! My apartment smells like bacon, which is a double bonus.
Bacon, Egg, and Toast Cups
What you will need:
A package of bacon
A carton of eggs (try to get medium)
A package of whole wheat bread (get the cheapest, softest kind you can find)
1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
Pan Spray
Salt and pepper
Muffin tins
Cooling rack
Your oven
A frying pan
Tongs
What you do: First of all, don’t put your bread in the fridge. Only a stupid person would do that and then they would have to boil some water and steam their bread to warm it up and make it fit into the muffin tins. See? Waste of time, don’t do it. You will take your perfectly room temperature bread and cut it into a circle (repeat 12 times). I used an IKEA cup, it has a pretty standard circumference….I would suggest anywhere from 3-3.5 inches.
Place these little bread circles in a pre-pan sprayed muffin tin. Turn your oven up to 400 degrees. Get out your frying pan. Cook bacon on med heat. Don’t cook it all the way. It needs to be a little pliable, and also you’re going to pop these bad boys in the oven in a minute.
Use your tongs to grab the bacon and toss it onto a plate. It should look really gross, like bacon pasta or something. When your 12 pieces of bacon are cooked (and you have eaten the left over bacon in the package, because we all know what happens to uneaten bacon…nope, there isn’t such a thing. Bacon should always be eaten immediately) you will now begin the “hardest” part.
Take the bacon and work it in between the bread and the side of the muffin tin. You might break the bread a little bit. This is ok, the egg will mend it and your little bacon and toast cup will be all shored up with egg and ready to set sail in no time!
Toss in the tiniest bit of cheddar cheese. Now, crack an egg and put it in the cup. I suggested medium sized eggs, because there is way too much egg white with a large egg. So if you have a large egg, try to not put all of the white in. Now, put a little salt and pepper in them and cook for about 15 minutes. Just keep and eye on them and try to make the yolk how YOU like it.
Most of the time I make some little comment like “I’m a genius, these are great.”Which may or may not be true.  But I literally took a bit of this and thought “Holy hell, these are delicious” and then started laughing because I was so impressed with myself. Now, you try!

No comments:

Post a Comment