Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pressure Cooker Experiment aka everything is broken and I can't tell the difference between pork and beef

So, I went to visit my 97 year old Grandma the other week.  I affectionately refer to her as Mum. Mum, in her old age, does not give a shit.  She tells it like it is.  I walked in to her apartment at Bayview Manor to "Your purse is huge.  Go get one out of my closet.  Why do you need a purse that big? I never used a purse that size.  I'm sure that there is one in the glory hole that you can have." The "glory hole" is what she calls her walk in closet that I have to go through about every two years and eliminate all of the empty cookie tins and other weird stuff that she saves, like boxes with no lids.

Anyway, I left with a purse, a tin of cookies, and a pressure cooker.  After asking other people what to do with it, and Googling directions, today I dove in to pressure cooking.  It's weird.


So, first of all, I got confused.  I had a cut of beef that the guy at the store said would be good for pot roast and I also had some pork shoulder.  The pork shoulder ended up in the pressure cooker.  My bad.

What you need:
A pressure cooker (this one is electric)
3lbs of beef roast (chuck roast apparently is good)
salt, pepper, and garlic powder mixed together (enough to rub on the roast)
beef broth (a can)
3-4 carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
2 sweet potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
2 onions (small sized, or 1 big one) cut into quarters
1.5 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

 


So, first, put on an apron.  I would also advise investing in some good tongs.  Mine suck, and I ended up grabbing a hot slab of meat with my hands.
Turn the pressure cooker dial to about 300 and heat up some vegetable oil in it (about 2tbsp.)
Brown the roast on all sides.  This was when I started to swear and grab random utensils in an attempt to flip the 3lb slab of raw meat, almost dropped it, and then grabbed it with my hands. Nothing like blood all over your hands and counter.
Don't give up though, you have a pile of raw meat waiting for you.  Once the meat is browned, rub the salt, pepper, garlic powder mixture on it.  Then, pour in the beef broth and the Worcestershire sauce and add in the onions.
Now, you get to figure out how to close the lid of the cooker.  Right tighty would be your first guess.  WRONG.  It goes left, of course! HAHAHAHA.
Now you are going to "bring it up to pressure".  I'm not sure what that means.  I turned up the heat to high, and put on the little screw top thing, which was broken.  So, steam was escaping the entire time. Thanks Mum!  I was not discouraged by this discovery and just continued on.
After 30 minutes, I "released the pressure the quick way."  I think that if I had a fully functioning pressure cooker, I would have removed the little cap.  Since mine was broken, I just opened it up.  I tossed in the carrots and sweet potatoes, closed it back up.
I then let it cook for another 15 minutes.
When I "released the pressure the quick way" again, I realized that I had put the pork shoulder in because the meat was very white.  I've talked about my relationship with pork before...I'm scared of it being raw. So, I got out my trusty meat thermometer to make sure it was done. Nothing.  Broken. yep.
So, I took the pork and veggies out of the pressure cooker, and cut that bad boy up.  It was looking a little pink, so I tossed it in the oven for 10 minutes at 350.  Done and done. It's delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment