Friday, October 4, 2013

Printing on Fabric

I've been stenciling for quite a few years. Mostly because I'm too lazy to learn how to screen print, and partially because you really have to use your brain to do it. And we all know there is nothing more satisfying than using your brain, then getting to tell everyone how smart you are.
I will pass on my tips, techniques, and info here. Do with it what you will.
I use overhead projector sheets to make my stencils and I use an exacto knife. You'll also need screen printing paint and a roller or paint brush.
Start by thinking about your design. 
This is what I decided on. Next, get a sharpie and your overhead projector sheet. Draw the design on to it. Remember that what you cut out becomes ink and what you leave will be the fabric you are printing on to. This is the tricky part for those of us with poor executive functioning. Take your time. I like to go super slow and do random things in between like go to Target and buy a new vacuum, or reapply my makeup (favorite time wasting activity). 
Look at that!
Now, you get to start the fun part...
Decide if you are going to use a roller or a paint brush. If you roll, you get more crisp lines and even paint, and you get to say cool things like "oh I'm just rolling out this stencil, then I'll be right over." If you use a brush you can get more precise shapes and you don't have to worry about extra paint at the edges of your stencil. Your choice, I could care less what you do. 
Now, position your stencil and use your method of choice (I did both for this project).
Don't use the paint directly out of the container, use a leftover babyshower plate. Sometimes you might want to add a little water to the paint. Don't add too much or it will bleed out and ruin the crisp details of your stencil.
When you are done let it dry completely (or use a hair dryer to speed up the process because obviously, waiting is for losers). 
When it is dry, use a piece of shit towel and lay it on top of the fabric with the paint side up. Turn your iron (that you "inherited" from your first college roommate) to the highest setting. Iron the entire surface, holding the iron in place for a ten count before moving to the next space. I kinda do this half assed and have never had an issue, but I'm trying this new thing called following directions.

Now, you've got some cool fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment